15 hrs | $105.00
Certification Areas and Continuing Education: 15 Hours Total
Group counseling is the most powerful motivation for change for clients with substance use and abuse issues. Behavioral, Cognitive, and Interpersonal approaches to group counseling will be discussed along with applications for groups of non-addicts as well. Specific group topics will be addressed in order to assist the counselor in developing the necessary skills to be able to accurately select the best counseling method for a particular group.
Also covered in this course are group recovery skills that are vital to positive client outcomes as well as a number of tools that can be utilized in the group setting.
This course will cover: group counseling methods, actions necessary to initiate, implement, and maintain a group, how to facilitate growth within the group and how to document clients behavior within the group setting. It will also cover the recovery skills needed for clients to succeed in their sobriety journey.
Robert R. Perkinson. (2017). Chemical Dependency Counseling A Practical Guide 5th Ed.
You will have an enhanced ability to understand, work with, and implement group treatment.
- Describe, select, and implement appropriate group counseling methods for clients with substance abuse issues.
- Understand how group dynamics affect change in client behavior.
- Learn specific exercises to help patients achieve and maintain recovery.
- Understand that group principles in this course also apply to groups of non addicts.
- Learn to implement relational and emotional skills training through specific group exercises.