10 hrs | $42.50
Certification Areas and Continuing Education: 10 Hours Total
Substance abuse, particularly of alcohol and prescription drugs, among adults 60 and older is one of the fastest growing health problems facing the US and nations with aging populations. Alcohol and prescription drug misuse affects up to 17 percent of older US adults. Because of insufficient knowledge and hurried office visits, health care providers often overlook the symptoms of substance abuse and misuse among older adults because they can mimic symptoms of other common disorders such as diabetes, dementia, and depression.
You will learn facts and myths related to aging and substance abuse plus practical tools for bringing help and wholeness to older individuals in many settings.
Discover why standard abuse criteria do not apply to older adults. Become an informed advocate. Learn respectful ways to begin the dialog with people in our neighborhoods, congregations, and our families.
Selected Readings is included with the course. You will receive your materials after purchase.
Gain insight into how substance abuse and misuse are often overlooked with older adults, and the dangers older populations face with increased use of prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Uncover misperceptions society can have regarding older adults.
- Understand the dangers of mixing alcohol with prescribed and over-the-counter medications.
- Explain the effects of alcohol on an older person including gender differences.
- Learn effective techniques for screening and review assessment tools.
- Review treatment options recommended especially for older adults.