15 hrs | $105.00
Certification Areas and Continuing Education: 15 Hours Total
Understanding Addiction / Application to Practice / Clinical Evaluation
This course is based on the text Counseling Problem Gamblers: A Self-Regulation Manual for Individual and Family Therapy by Joseph W. Ciarrocchi. Summary excerpt: “Problem gambling is on the increase in today’s society with devastating effects on family finances and relationships.
Until now, clinicians had no comprehensive, user friendly, single source for understanding and treating the condition of pathological gambling.” Behavioral health professionals and counselors will learn well regarded assessment instruments for identifying gambling problems.
The author is a noted pioneer and expert who brings together clinical wisdom in other addictions plus research findings to pull together a treatment package aimed at developing the component skills for successful recovery.
Counseling Problem Gamblers: A Self-Regulation Manual for Individual and Family Therapy. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
You will be instructed on diagnosis and assessment, the need for family treatment modalities, motivational enhancement approaches and specific issues encountered in counseling. The text is completed with a chapter devoted to spirituality, virtue and character and how these concepts are intricately involved in the recovery process.
- Understand the scope of social and problem gambling.
- Discover how substance abuse disorders differ from gambling addiction.
- Review models of gambling treatment and research.
- Be introduced to the self-regulation model and its advantages in gambling treatment.
- Learn to utilize assessment instruments to assist in diagnosis.
- Understand how the Motivational Enhancement approach is used in treatment.
- Consider legal, financial and spiritual issues in the treatment of problem gambling.