15 hrs | $105.00
Certification Areas and Continuing Education: 15 Hours Total
Counseling / Documentation
This course serves as Part 2 of a step-by-step approach to treat clients with substance use and abuse issues. While the preliminary functions of screening, assessment and treatment planning were covered in Part 1, now we are ready for the processes of addiction counseling that get to the heart of the matter.
A considerable amount of time in this course is spent on counseling theories, techniques, skills and knowledge. Effective strategies will also include bringing families into treatment. We will look at the core functions of Referral, Service Coordination and Documentation as they apply to individual treatment.
Robert R. Perkinson. (2017). Chemical Dependency Counseling A Practical Guide 5th Ed.
The student will have an enhanced ability to understand, work with, and implement the processes of Counseling, Referral, Service Coordination and Documentation.
- Identify the three counseling approaches outlined in this course.
- Become acquainted with various techniques and skills within these approaches.
- Understand barriers to treatment such as transference and defense mechanisms.
- Understand how to integrate the family into treatment and the benefits of this.
- Understand the functions of Referral, Service Coordination and Documentation and how they fit into the treatment process.