10 hrs | $85.00
Certification Areas and Continuing Education: 10 Hours Total
Understanding Addiction / Client Education
Once addiction takes hold, it creates an addictive persona. That persona completely replaces the personality of the addicted person. It dominates the life of that person, is predictable in its behavior patterns, and it will lead to death.
Through the recovery process a healthy personality can emerge. For the person who becomes addicted, the pain, anger and upheaval of real life is too much to handle. Through the recovery process, it is possible to gain the skills and insights to understand and avoid previous thought and behavior patterns that gave the addictive persona a foothold in the first place. Release and acceptance are based on the idea that you can no longer control the situation; not the addictive situation or the world around you. Rather, you must release that need for control and accept that only the Higher Power can control.
Through honesty, release and acceptance, a spiritual life can develop, and a full, healthy and grateful personality can emerge. Learn how millions of people experience real recovery.
The Addictive Personality: Understanding the Addictive Process and Compulsive Behavior, Craig Nakken
The student will have an enhanced ability to understand the process of addiction, help others to recognize their addictive behaviors and present the way to recovery as outlined in the text.
- Review the addiction process, including predictable behaviors, cycles and stages.
- Differentiate between the three types of highs.
- Understand the drives that lead to internal changes which signal Stage One Addiction.
- Recognize the lifestyle changes and breakdown that happens through the stages of addiction.
- Understand the importance of the search for connection and meaning that underlies the recovery process.
- Review the types of families involved in the addictive process.